They are like her, but they don’t like her.
Such is the curious phenomenon of many educated, professional, liberal women of a certain age when it comes to Hillary Clinton, the Los Angeles Times reports. In fact, upper-middle-class women on the left are “historically her toughest crowd,” the paper reports.
Why is this? The Times offers a handful of possibilities:
1) They’re not as worried about job security as their more blue-collar peers (who are more pro-Clinton), so they feel free to judge the New York Senator as a peer.
2) They’re disgusted by the fact that, while they struggled to break through barriers in the workplace, Clinton hitched her star to her man and followed him to the top.
3) They’re disappointed by her support of the Iraq war and the fact that she has recreated herself as a centrist.
4) Women hold each other to an unrealistic standard.
5) She’s trying to act too much like a man.